brown sugar apple grunt
Food for comfort.
- Melt butter in an 8-inch Dutch oven.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the butter and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar to the Dutch oven and stir until dissolved.
- Arrange apples over the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Add eggs, granulated sugar, and milk to the bowl with the 2 tablespoons butter.
- Mix in the salt and baking powder, then add the flour, mixing until smooth.
- Pour batter over the apples.
- Just cover it tightly and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan with spatula and invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
4 tablespoons butter
1⁄3 cup tightly packed brown sugar
2 cups pared cored and sliced fresh apples
3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄3 cup milk
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
whipped cream or ice cream